Saturday, December 20, 2014

Upgrade your Qt-Installation to Qt 5.4 by a clean re-install

Objective


I wanted to upgrade my Qt 5.3.1 to new the newly released version Qt 5.4.0 by a clean re-install.
My last install was done by executing the installer script ./qt-opensource-linux-x64-5.3.1.run.
So I asked myself, how to clearly uninstall an old Qt-Version.

Motivation


I noticed that I'll run out of disk-space soon on my system disk, therefore I decided to uninstall the old version, before I wanted to install the new version. Additionally, I wanted to install QtCreator 3.3 which correlates to Qt 5.4.0.

Prerequisites


Linux Mint: 17 - Qiana
Qt-Installer Script: Qt-opensource-linux-x64-5.4.0.run

Solution


Download the installer script


1. Go to the Qt-Homepage: qt-project.org
2. Download the installer script ./qt-opensource-linux-x64-5.4.0.run
It is not necessary to download the Qt-Creator installer script, because Qt-Creator 3.3 is included by the Qt-Installer script.

Uninstall the old version (in my case: Qt 5.3.1)


1. Open a Terminal window.

2. Login as root:

$ su -

3. Navigate to the folder where you installed the older version of Qt (in my case "/opt/Qt5.3.1":

$ cd /opt/Qt5.3.1

4. Start the MaintenanceTool

$ ./MaintenanceTool

5. Choose Remove from the options od the shown dialog.

Install Qt 5.4.0


1. Within the same shell (root-shell), go to the folder where you downloaded the installer script qt-opensource-linux-x64-5.4.0.run and type:

$ chmod ugo+x qt-opensource-linux-x64-5.4.0.run
$ ./qt-opensource-linux-x64-5.4.0.run

2. Follow the instructions of the graphical installer.

Done.

No comments:

Post a Comment